Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Good night, sweet prince

Some of you might have already heard that TYLER's young and talented music composer, Reuben, has passed away after a tragic dragon boat race mishap.

The first time I met Reuben at our old office I remember thinking to myself: "Damn, this guy is a composer?! He should be a model or professional athlete". Guess what? He was all of the above.

Talented music composer, Mr. World Singapore 2007, member of the national dragon boat team, 3D artist, works with disabled kids, excellent DOTA player and all round a really nice guy. Honestly, he's achieved more in his 23 years than most of us will ever in a lifetime and doesn't brag about any of it.

Reuben scored and performed music for Mobile Weapon 1, MW:TC, Ramen Ramen! and Battle Stations. He volunteered to create music for Battle Stations even though we didn't commission any. He was very passionate about the game just as he was passionate about every other part of his life. I was also going to get him to kick start the audio section of our new MW portal.

He didn't get to see his work for Battle Stations put into the final product (that's due out in late December before Christmas) but we'll still release the full version with his work because it's what he wanted. I remember he kept bugging me on msn to find a feasible solution to incorporate the music into the Facebook game.

IMO the music he made for Battle Stations was his best work yet so I'm going to go the extra mile to make sure Battle Stations becomes my best work too so it'll do justice to his great music.

We'll dedicate the full version of the game to him and donate some royalties to the Reuben Kee memorial fund for under privileged kids.

For those of you who haven't heard his good stuff you can check out his website www.reubenkee.com which we'll help to keep live, hopefully forever.

Reuben! we were supposed to have a mega-DOTA session after my exams this week! We shall play DOTA again someday!



"Now cracks a noble heart. Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!"

11 comments:

Chuang Shyue Chou said...

My condolences.

Anonymous said...

Reuben Kee R.I.P May you make music with god

Adam

Anonymous said...

I didn't knew much things about him except what I've been reading on the forum lately, now I do and will remember it.

Anonymous said...

perhaps he has herd the basshunter song DoTA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpQpuL9WMzU

Gary said...

I've heard many of Reuben's compositions (thanks to the overclocked remix site.) Such Talent! Let it be said that he will continue to be an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Hey LL I'm part of the BS community and i guess i just want to say that its an awfully nice thing you are doing for him. =) Perhaps you can set up a donate button for people to donate to the Reuben Kee memorial fund in BS too.

Cervantes de Leonard said...

We're waiting for his friends to finish setting up the fund before we'll have a separate donation button for it.

If they don't get it set up, we will.

Matrix said...

Just in case for some who are not familiar with Shakespeare. The title came from this famous quote in Hamlet (Act V scene ii):

"Now cracks a noble heart. Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

Touching and may he rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

Reuben made some amazing music. I hope his family and friends can find some happiness from the works he has left us.

~ Brocke Life

Anonymous said...

can't say i know much about this... but still... it's sad

condolences

Anonymous said...

on 29th NOV 2007,
i sent 3 of my friends off...
being able to row with them,
to know them,
and to share a part of my life with them,
is truly my blessing...

reuben, stephen, boon san...
we will meet again in the kingdom of the father...
until then, you guys will always live in the memories of you brothers...