Saturday, June 10, 2006

How Original is "Original"?

Some people have been complaining on Newgrounds that our Mobile Weapon series isn't original and we've copied games / anime like Gundam, Gun Griffon, Guild wars, Space trader, etc.

Firstly, I have NEVER watched an episode of Gundam or played any Gundam game. I bought my Xbox in 2004 so I never got to play Gun Griffon. The only multiplayer online RPG I ever played was Phantasy Star Online. And what is Space Trader? I've never even heard of it.

I'm going to get a little philosophical here, but is "anything" truely original? It's quite difficult to imagine any of today's games not being inspired in some small way by some other earlier games. Sure the robot-pilot concept is not new. But we certainly did not look at any other game and say: "Ok that looks good, we'll just copy that since we know it works".

What you'll see in Mobile Weapon: Episode 1 are entirely original M.A.W. (mech) designs and an innovative battle system which we created ourselves. On the surface there will always be similarities to other games, even games we as developers have never ever played.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree, at this time and age, NOTHING is original, everything we are seeing or have seen have been done before. Things seem new because they have been refreshed and repackaged.

Things in today's context are just repackaged with combined elements of various stuff that already existed.

There's no such thing as original because somebody somewhere saw something that resembles something that exists.